Staff Parish Relations
The Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) along with the Senior Pastor is responsible for coordinating the personnel issues of the staff at First United Methodist Church of Crown Point. The SPRC typically meet 4 to 6 times a year and is responsible for maintaining effective employee relations among the pastor, the paid staff, officers, committee members and the general congregation.
- The committee consists of 9 members, as diverse as possible to be representative of our congregation.
- Meetings are closed — only members of the committee can be present along with the Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor.
- All discussions at the SPRC Meetings are strictly confidential and minutes are not taken to ensure to confidentiality.
- Meetings are face-to-face.
- Leads the congregation to encourage, strengthen, nurture, support, and respect the pastor(s) and staff and their families. It helps the staff set priorities that strengthen the congregation’s total ministry.
- Consults with the Senior Pastor to recommend staff positions to support the strategic strategy of the church leadership team (church council).
- Recommends staff compensation, travel, housing, and other financial matters to the church council through consultation with the finance committee. The finance committee includes the salary total in the budget, and the PPRC works with staff on allocation.
- Provides for annual evaluation of the pastor(s) and other staff for ongoing effective ministry.
- Creates and updates written policy for hiring, evaluating, promoting, retiring, and dismissing staff members who are not subject to episcopal appointment. This is recommended to the church council for adoption.
- Conducts proper screening (including background checks) for lay employees and volunteer staff.
- The committee enlists, evaluates, and annually recommends to the charge conference candidates for professional ministry.
Members of the SPRC are recommended by the Senior Pastor to the Church Council for appointment.
The SPRC typically meet 4 to 6 times a year.
Additional information on the Staff Parish Relations Committee can be found in the Book of Discipline ¶258.2